This tofu ricotta recipe is everything you should expect from vegan ricotta cheese and more. You need 6 ingredients for a super easy, super cheesy, and super yummy, plant-based delicacy.
If you’ve never been 'sold' on the idea (or flavor) of vegan cheese, this could be the recipe that changes your perception. You can make your ricotta as creamy or crumbly as you like. And because it’s tofu, with just a splash of sunflower seeds, we’re keeping this cheese on the lower fat side.
If you are a newbie plant-based cheese explorer, ricotta is a great place to start. Animal-based ricotta, traditionally made from whey ricotta isn’t intensely cheesy in flavor. For this reason, our plant-based version adds nutritional yeast for a subtle cheesy flavor, lemon juice and lemon zest for tang, salt for saltiness, and minced garlic for a depth of flavor. I added 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds for just enough rich nutty flavor to give it a little cheesy 'oomph.'
Tips for making tofu ricotta
With 5 ingredients and a food processor, you’ll happily discover this is an easy recipe with no surprises. Here are a few tips to start you off on the right foot:
1. You don’t need to press the tofu. Just wrap the block in a few paper towels and squeeze it with your hands. Do this over the sink to keep the mess down.
2. Add the sunflower seeds first and give them a few turns in the food processor before adding the tofu. For superior flavor and texture, break the sunflower seeds down by adding them to the food processor first. They won’t be as inclined to break down once the tofu enters the mix.
3. 3 cloves of garlic are, indeed, a lot. Adjust this as you like. I mixed the minced cloves by hand along with the lemon zest. If you add them to the food processor, consider using only 2 cloves as blending will make them taste stronger. You can also substitute 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
4. If possible, use an organic lemon for the zest. I don’t regularly use organic fruit, but when it comes to citrus zest, play it safe if possible.
Ricotta. What is it good for?
Lots of yummy food!
You shouldn’t be surprised to learn that tofu ricotta makes a savory lasagna layer or a stuffing for ravioli or pasta shells. But don’t stop there – this vegan cheese will give you just the ‘fix’ your enchiladas have been searching for.
Although we are pretty hooked on chorizo tofu, ricotta makes a cheesy casserole topping or a layer of tamale pie between the filling and the cornbread crust. Anyplace you want a hit of cheesy umami flavor.
It’s equally great spread over toast and grilled. And pizza? Oh, pizza!
This recipe is all about creating a plant-based ingredient with versatility and loads of potential. Mission accomplished. Not only can you whip up your ricotta in minutes, but it also keeps for days in the fridge. Heck, you can even freeze it! It’s just the thing to have around when you want something healthfully cheesy. Don’t know about you, but I, for one, am all about that. Peace.Print
Tofu ricotta is what you demand from a vegan ricotta cheese with just 6 ingredients for a super easy, super cheesy plant-based delicacy.
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 block (350 gm.) of firm tofu, pressed
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2-3 cloves minced or pressed garlic
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- Add 2 Tbsp. sunflower seeds to a food processor. Process the seeds for a few turns to break them down a bit.
- Wrap the tofu in a few paper towels and squeeze it to release the moisture.
- Add the tofu, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and salt to the food processor. Process until it smooths out.
- Transfer the ricotta to a bowl and mix in the garlic and lemon zest.
- Use in your favorite recipes immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days until you’re ready to use it.
- Serving size is approximately 1/4 cup.
- Adjust the amount of garlic to your individual taste. You can also substitute 1 tsp. garlic powder if desired.
- If you find nutritional yeast salty, cut back on the additional ½ tsp. of salt.
- If you want the ricotta super smooth, be sure to grind the sunflower seeds into a powder before adding the tofu. You may need to add ½ a tablespoon more of lemon juice to get it to smooth out.
- Category: Essential Ingredients
- Cuisine: plant-based
Keywords: tofu ricotta