Easy to please vegan stuffed bell peppers with quick-cooking barley and white bean filling are baked up to crowd-pleasing nutritious satisfaction.
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. thyme
- 1 ½ tsp. oregano
- 1 tomato, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- ¼ (a pinch) of cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups white beans (1- 15 oz./400 gm. can)
- 4 bell peppers, with the tops removed, seeds removed, and the core trimmed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (for garnish)
- In a medium pot over medium heat, simmer the onions, carrot, and celery for 5 minutes until the veggies start to soften.
- Add the garlic, thyme, and oregano and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Mix in the chopped tomato, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, and dry mustard.
- Next, add the barley, vegetable broth, cayenne and black pepper. Bring the pot to simmer and cover.
- Cook until the liquid is absorbed, and the barley is tender. About 15 minutes.
- While the barley cooks, preheat the oven to 4000 F (2000 C) and prepare the peppers by cutting off the stems and cleaning out the core.
- When the barley is done, fill the peppers, cover them with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
- We decided that red bell peppers go particularly well with the barley filling however, you can use any color or mix of peppers you choose.
- If you can’t get barley or want a substitution, quinoa can be used in the same amount and with the same cooking time.
- Category: Main Courses
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan stuffed red peppers