Spicy 5-minute cucumber salad in 6 ingredients is the perfect oil free, healthy side dish. Fiery sambal oelek with lime adds zest to your meal in minutes.
- 1 cucumber, deseeded and sliced
- 1 red chili, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions (scallions), thinly slice the white parts
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1–2 tsp. sambal oelek (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 2 tsp. agave syrup or another liquid sweetener
- Cut the cucumber in half and then slice each half lengthwise. Using a small spoon, deseed the cucumber. Lay each quarter flat on the cutting board and slice into thin, half moons.
- Thinly slice the red chili. If you want to remove the seeds to reduce the heat, cut the chili in half lengthwise and remove the seeds, then slice thinly.
- Thinly slice the green onions.
- Place everything in a small dish.
- In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup lime juice, 2 tsp. agave syrup (or other sweetener) and 1-2 tsp. sambal oelek.
- Add the dressing to the cucumber, pepper and onions. Mix well and serve.
- Red chilis add extra heat and color to this salad; however, you can substitute a jalapeno or leave the chili out and rely on the sambal oelek for the spiciness (you may want to adjust the amount).
- Although I prefer lime juice, I first had this dish with lemon juice. This requires adding extra sweetener if you go that direction.
- This salad could also be made with sweet shallots or red onions rather than green onions. Aim for no more than ¼ cup.
- Category: On the Side
- Cuisine: Indonesian
Keywords: spicy 5-minute cucumber salad