Easy tempeh tacos are the ultimate plant-based, gluten free taco fix. Fiesta’s on!
- 1 – 8 oz. (250 gm) block tempeh
- 4–6 cups vegetable broth (depending on pan depth)
- 1 Tbsp. Tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
- Slice the tempeh into strips and crumble into pieces (thumbnail size).
- Place the tempeh into a pan, cover with broth and 1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce) and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the tempeh simmers, get all your taco fixings ready.
- Drain the tempeh and press the sides of the colander to get as much liquid out as possible.
- Sauté the onion until is becomes translucent (5-8 minutes). Add the tempeh, spices, tomato paste and tamari. Mix well to coat the tempeh and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Heat the tortillas in the oven or microwave while the tempeh is doing the last 5-minute simmer.
- Commence the fiesta.
- Nutritional information calculated with a tablespoon of vegan sour cream and 2 tablespoons of pico de gallo per taco.
- This is a great use of frozen tempeh crumbles. Just thaw them and add cumin, chili powder, tomato paste and tamari.
- If you want to bulk out the tempeh, try adding diced green pepper and/or corn to simmer with the tempeh.
- Category: Main Courses
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Plant-based
Keywords: Easy tempeh tacos