Curried chickpea salad – versatile chickpeas get a boost with onions, celery, red pepper, Indian spices, lemon juice, mustard and a dash of maple syrup.
- 2 – 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (3 cups)
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- ¼ tsp. garam masala
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 T prepared mustard
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 medium red onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 stalk diced celery, diced small
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- Add the chickpeas to a medium bowl and using a potato masher or large fork, mash the chickpeas. You can leave a few whole if desired.
- Add the curry powder, garam masala, turmeric and cayenne pepper and toss the spices with the chickpeas.
- Next add the mustard, lemon juice and maple syrup and mix well.
- Add the onions, celery and red pepper and mix.
- Taste and adjust the spices, mustard, lemon juice or maple syrup.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for 5 days.
- Nutritional information is for the salad, no bread or wraps are included.
- If you want a creamier spread, mash the chickpeas until they are completely broken down. If you use a food processor, only spin it a few times and avoid pureeing them.
- Add ¼ cup of chopped cilantro if desired.
- Category: Salads & Bowls
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: curried chickpea salad