35-minute weeknight red beans and quinoa with easy ingredients, flavor staples and your favorite hot sauce for a healthy, plant-based dinner satisfier.
- 1 onion chopped into large chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cubed
- 2 stalks celery, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ –1 tsp. Tabasco (or your favorite hot sauce)
- 4 cups water + 2 veggie bouillon (stock) cubes or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained (3 cups)
- 2 cups dry quinoa, rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pan or soup pot to medium. Add the onion, green bell pepper, and celery. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onions are slightly browned. Be sure to move the ingredients constantly to avoid sticking.
- Add the 3 cloves minced garlic, 1 tsp. smoked paprika, 1 Tbsp. dried thyme. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, tabasco, veggie broth, kidney beans, and quinoa.
- Bring the pot to a low boil, then reduce to simmer, cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes).
- Remove the lid and fluff up the quinoa.
- Taste and add salt, pepper or more tabasco.
- Garnish with sliced scallions or chopped parsley if desired.
- If you can’t get red kidney beans, white or even butter beans will work for this recipe. Follow my same guidance if you are going to cook them from scratch.
- If you decide to make the beans from scratch, you can double the amounts and freeze the remaining beans. Thaw them in the fridge or run hot water over them and use them immediately so they don’t soften too much.
- This recipe was made with standard white quinoa; however, red, black or a combination might provide a visual flare. It’s also a good way to use up those odd measurements of different kinds of quinoa you might have. Follow the same cooking instructions, no matter what color you choose.
- If you find green pepper too bitter, red pepper is a great substitute. It will make the dish sweeter, so you may want to increase the amount of vinegar to balance it.
- Category: Main Courses
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: red beans & quinoa