Flavorful one-pot turmeric coconut rice with kale is creamy, aromatic, and layered with texture and goodness from kale and toasted coconut and sesame.
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon white or black sesame seeds
- 2 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups long-grain rice, such as basmati or jasmine
- 1 –14 oz. (400 gm.) can coconut milk
- 2 cups chopped kale
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Rinse the rice and set aside.
- In a large skillet or medium pot, toast the coconut flakes and sesame seeds over medium heat until they get a bit brown (2-3 minutes). Stir frequently so they don’t burn. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside. Wipe out the pot so any leftovers don’t burn.
- In the same pan, sauté the white parts of the scallions, 1 tsp. ground turmeric and ½ tsp. ground black pepper until the scallions are well-covered and get a bit translucent (about 1 minute).
- Add the rice to the pan and stir it so the scallions and turmeric gets mixed in. Toast the rice for another 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the coconut milk and then fill the can with water and add that to the pan. Stir well so the rice doesn’t clump up.
- Bring the rice to a boil and then turn it down to a low simmer, cover the pan and allow the rice to simmer for about 15 minutes until it gets tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- To the top of the rice, add a layer of kale, the green parts of the scallions, the lime zest and lime juice. Check that there is enough liquid left in the bottom of the pan and if there is very little or none, add ½ cup water. Cover the pan and allow the kale to steam for 5 minutes. Cut the heat and leave covered until ready to serve.
- Add the toasted coconut flakes and sesame seeds to the top right before serving.
- Serve with additional lime wedges if desired.
- Nutritional information is for 6 main servings.
- You can substitute the rice for quinoa or bulgur if desired. Use the same amounts (2 cups). You may need to shorten the cooking time, so keep an eye on the pan.
- Although kale gives this dish a lot of texture, you can substitute other greens including spinach. If you use spinach, cut the heat on the pan after the rice is cooked, add the spinach and replace the lid and allow the spinach to steam.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: turmeric coconut rice with kale