Savory marinated tofu is baked, oil-free and along with sweet corn relish, arugula, and creamy avocado dressing, it’s the best vegan tofu bowls ever!
For the tofu
- 1 big block of tofu (18 oz./500 gms.), pressed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce or Tamari
- 1 – inch knob of ginger, peeled and chopped (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, chopped (you can remove the seeds if you like)
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. agave syrup, date paste, maple syrup, or another vegan liquid sweetener
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice
- ½ bunch (about 1 cup) cilantro (coriander), leaves and stems
Sweet corn relish
- 1 small red bell pepper, core removed and diced small
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, core removed and diced small
- 1 small red onion, diced small
- 1 can (10 oz./300 gm.) sweet corn, drained
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 avocado, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup lime juice
- About ½ cup cilantro leaves and stems (whatever you have left from the marinade and corn relish)
- 1 tsp. maple syrup (or another liquid sweetener)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ – ½ cup water (depending on the consistency you like)
6 – 8 cups of arugula or green of your choice
- Rinse the tofu and cut it into quarters, then press it using a tofu press or between a plate and another flat surface weighed down. Press for 20 minutes.
- While the tofu presses, you can make the marinade by adding the soy sauce, ginger, jalapeno, cumin, agave syrup, cilantro, and lime juice in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. (it doesn’t need to be super smooth as it’s a marinade).
- When the tofu is pressed, cut it into bite-sized pieces and place them in a bowl with the marinade. Be sure to coat the tofu on all sides. Leave the tofu to marinate for at least 30 minutes (longer if you can or overnight). Mix the pieces at least once during the marinating process for maximum flavor.
- While the tofu marinates, make the sweet corn relish, and the avocado dressing.
- For the corn relish, simply combine the diced red and yellow bell pepper, the sweet corn, the cilantro, and the lime juice. Mix it well in a small bowl. You can cover it and keep it in the fridge until you are ready to serve it. It can also be made a day ahead.
- For the avocado dressing, combine all the ingredients – the avocado, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, and maple syrup in a blender. Blend everything, adding water as needed to thin it out (1/4 – ½ cup).
- To bake the tofu, preheat the oven to 4250F (2200C).
- Place the tofu pieces on a baking tray (I find it easiest to line it with parchment paper). Bake the tofu for 15 minutes until it starts to brown and then flip it and bake it for another 10 minutes until it’s brown and firm.
- o finish, line 4 bowls with the arugula, then add the corn relish and tofu. Add the dressing or serve it on the side.
- You can start marinating the tofu and make the corn relish a day ahead. Be sure to store the relish in an airtight container and cover the tofu.
- Not in the mood for a bowl? Try making this into a sandwich. Don’t add any water to the dressing. Start with the bread, stack on the arugula, then the tofu, then some avocado spread, the corn relish, a bit more avocado, top off with the bread. Yummy!
- Category: Salads & Bowls
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tofu bowls with sweet corn relish