Tempeh mushroom stroganoff is easy, plant-based, oil free decadence with my fool-proof way to prepare tempeh crumbles and a creamy, healthy sauce.
- 8 oz. (225 gm.) tempeh
- 4 cups (1 lt.) vegetable broth or 4 cups water with 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce or Tamari
- 1 Tbsp. Henderson’s relish or vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium leeks, chopped
- 14 oz. (400 gm.) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup (250 ml.) white wine
- 1 ½ cup (375 ml.) plant milk (I used oat, but any will do)
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ lemon squeezed over the top
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz. (320 gm.) tagliatelle or similar pasta
- Start with the tempeh. Slice the block into quarters and then cut each in half so you have 8 pieces. Crumble (or cut the slices into pieces a bit less than your thumbnail.
- In a medium pot, add the tempeh crumbles and 4 cups of vegetable broth (or water and 2 vegetable stock cubes) plus 1 Tbsp. soy sauce or Tamari and 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (or Henderson’s relish). Bring the pot to a boil and then turn down to simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the tempeh simmers, wash and dice the leeks and onion. Prepare the mushrooms by washing and slicing them.
- When the tempeh is done, drain it in a colander and press it against the sides to help release the moisture. Set is aside to dry.
- Start to prepare the pasta by bringing a large pot of water to boiling. Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- For the stroganoff, add the leeks and onion to a large skillet or pot. Sauté the leeks and onion for about 5 minutes until they become soften and the onions, a bit translucent.
- Next add the garlic and mushrooms. Continue sautéing until the moisture from the mushrooms has reduced. Add 1 cup of white wine and the tempeh.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 ½ cups milk, 2 Tbsp. mustard and the smoked paprika. Add this mixture to the mushrooms and tempeh. Mix well and allow the stroganoff to simmer on low for 5-10 minutes. Check the sauce and add salt or pepper if needed.
- When the pasta is done. Drain it and then combine it with the stroganoff or prepare plates with pasta and pour the stroganoff over. Add fresh squeezed lemon and serve immediately.
- The prep time includes only the time to prepare the tempeh. The rest of the preparation can be done while the tempeh simmers and the pasta cooks.
- If you don’t have vegan Worscheshire sauce, you can make a substitution using 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar and 1 Tbsp. and an extra Tbsp. soy sauce.
- If you reheat the stroganoff on the stovetop, add ½ cup plant milk to keep it from drying out.
- Category: Main Courses
- Cuisine: Russian
Keywords: tempeh mushroom stroganoff