Spice up your life with easy tempeh taco meat flavored with Mexican asada and top it off with quick mango pico de gallo for a perfect oil free vegan taco.
- 8 oz. (250 gm.) tempeh, crumbled into small bite-sized pieces or diced small
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups water + 2 vegetable bouillon or stock cubes
- 1 Tbsp. Tamari or soy sauce
- 1 cup Mexican beer or veggie broth
- 1 tsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
Mango pico de gallo
- 1 large mango cubed small (2 cups)
- 1-2 jalapenos, diced small with the seeds removed
- ½ red onion, diced small (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 medium tomato, diced small (1 cup)
- Juice of 2 limes (about 1/3 cup)
- Slice the tempeh into quarters and crumble or dice it into small, bite-sized pieces. Place the tempeh along with 4 cups of vegetable broth and 1 Tbsp. tamari into a medium saucepan.
- Bring the pan to a boil and then reduce to simmer, cover it and simmer the tempeh for 2or dice it into small cubes. Simmer the tempeh for 20-30 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- While the tempeh simmers, make the mango pico de gallo by preparing all the ingredients and tossing it together in a bowl with the lime juice.
- To finish the asada tempeh, in a skillet whisk together the beer or broth, tamari and lime juice with the chili powder, smoked paprika, ground cumin and garlic powder.
- Heat the skillet and then add the tempeh. Simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed (about 10 minutes). Take it off the heat and cover.
- Heat the tortillas for 2-3 minutes at 4000 F (2000 C). Turn them so they are heated on both sides. Try not to get them too brown or hard as that will make them difficult to wrap.
- Serve the tempeh asada along with the mango pico de gallo, corn toritllas, vegan sour cream (optional), shredded lettuce, diced avocado and any other topping you like.
- Prep time is calculated for the time to crumble the tempeh. The mango pico de gallo can be made while the tempeh simmers.
- Get the vegan sour cream recipe here. If you want to make it even easier, start with 1 cup of cashews and grind them in a spice grinder. This way, you don’t need to soak your cashews.
- Category: Burgers & Wraps
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Tempeh asada tacos with mango pico de gallo