Serve up oil-free roasted cauliflower tacos with homemade taco seasoning topped with cool-spicy chipotle cream for a scrumptiously healthy plant-based meal.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut into half-moons
- 1-2 Tbsp. vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder
- ½ tsp. of onion powder
- ¼ tsp. of ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. ground flax or chia seeds
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1/3 cup chipotle hot sauce (or chipotle chilis in adobo)
- Juice of 1 lime (¼ cup)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 3750 F (1900 C)
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and place them in a bowl or container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Peel and cut the onion in half and then slice it into half-moons. Add them to the bowl. Cover the bowl. Shake to mix up the veggies.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of veggie broth, cover, and shake. You want the cauliflower a bit moist so that the spices will stick. Add a second tablespoon if you think it’s still too dry.
- In a small dish, mix the taco seasoning by combining 1 Tbsp. of chili powder, 2 tsp. of ground cumin, 1 tsp. of smoked paprika, ½ tsp. of garlic powder, ½ tsp. of onion powder, ¼ tsp. of ground black pepper, and ½ tsp. of salt).
- Sprinkle the seasoning over the top of the cauliflower. Cover the bowl, and shake until the spices are coating all of the veggies.
- Spread the contents of the bowl onto a baking tray. I usually line mine with parchment paper to keep things cleaner, but that’s optional.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the cauliflower is brown and tender. Toss the cauliflower once or twice during the baking process.
- While the cauliflower bakes, make the chipotle cream.
- In a spice grinder, add 1 ½ Tbsp. of whole flax or chia seeds. Grind into a powder. You should end up with 3 Tbsp.
- Add the ground seeds, 1 cup of coconut milk, 1/3 cup of hot sauce or 2 chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, ¼ cup lime juice (about 1 lime), and 1 tsp. of garlic powder to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Make any other toppings you’ll be using.
- When the cauliflower is done, transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Nutritional information includes corn tortillas, roasted cauliflower, and Chipotle cream.
- Try to cut the cauliflower florets into even pieces so they will roast evenly and get done at the same time. Cut bigger florets in half or quarters.
- If you don’t have veggie broth, you can also moisten the cauliflower and onions with a tablespoon of water or lime juice.
- Prep the cauliflower with the spices added a day ahead. Store them in the fridge with a tight cover and bake the next day. Give them a shake or two before adding them to the tray.
- The chipotle cream can be made a day ahead. Be sure to grind the flax or chia seeds. Whole seeds won’t thicken as well, and they don’t break down enough when blended with the other ingredients.
- Category: Burgers & Wraps
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: roasted cauliflower tacos