Taco salad supreme is loaded with chorizo tofu, beans, corn, creamy oil-free cilantro lime dressing, baked tortilla chips, and your favorite salad veggies.
- 1 small onion, small diced
- 1 small green pepper, small diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 8 oz. (220 gm.) block tofu, rinsed, NOT pressed
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
Cilantro lime dressing
- ¼ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds), ground up in a spice grinder or blender
- ¾ cup lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup or agave syrup or another liquid sweetener
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 bunch cilantro (2 cups with stems and leaves)
Additional salad ingredients
- 1 – 15 oz. (400 gm.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 – 10 oz. (300 gm.) can corn, drained
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ¼ cup sliced black olives (optional)
- 1 avocado diced (optional)
- 6–8 corn tortillas for homemade tortilla chips (or a commercial brand)
- To make the tortilla chips, preheat the oven to 4250 F (2200 C) cut 6-8 corn tortillas like a pie into 6 triangular pieces or cut them into strips about ½ inch wide.
- Place the tortilla pieces on a baking sheet and bake them for 15 minutes until they are slightly brown and crunchy. Toss them around on the tray a few times so they don’t burn.
- To make the cilantro lime dressing, first grind the pepitas into a powder using a spice grinder, blender, or food processor.
- Next, add all the ingredients – the ground pepitas, lime juice, maple syrup, chili powder, cilantro – into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Prepare the raw ingredients, such as the shredded lettuce and sliced tomatoes and black olives.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and corn and place them in a smaller saucepan along with ½ cup of water (this will keep them from scorching). Wait to heat the beans until you have added the tofu to the pan. The corn and beans can heat on low the last 5 minutes of the tofu cooking process.
- To make the chorizo tofu, heat a skillet to medium and add the onion and green pepper. Sauté them, stirring them frequently until they start to soften (about 5 minutes). Add a few tablespoons of water if they begin to stick.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, and salt, and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- With your hands, crumble the un-pressed tofu into the pan and then add the apple cider vinegar.
- Stir the tofu frequently, breaking up any of the bigger pieces if necessary. Continue sautéing the tofu until it becomes firmer and the moisture has evaporated.
- To assemble the salad, layer a large plate or platter with shredded lettuce and a few tomatoes and black olives, then add the beans and corn, and then the tofu. Top off with crumbled tortilla chips or serve them on the side.
- Add the dressing or serve on the side.
- The prep time and cook times assume that you are starting with pre-made tortillas but does account for the baking time to make chips.
- Be sure to taste the tofu, depending on the brand and how It’s processed, you may need to add extra spices or salt.
- Category: Salads & Bowls
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Taco salad supreme with chorizo tofu