Super simple and delicious apple cranberry salad with creamy cranberry dressing, fresh spinach, crisp apples and crunchy almonds – a perfect holiday side.
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup date paste, agave syrup or another liquid sweetener
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 6 cups spinach
- ½ cup roughly chopped almonds
- 2 apples, cored and cut into ½ inch dice
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- In a small dish, add 1/3 cup of dried cranberries to 1/3 cup boiling water. Allow the cranberries to soak for 10 minutes.
- While the cranberries are soaking put the rest of the dressing ingredients – ¼ cup date paste, zest and juice of 1 orange, 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp. Dijon mustard and ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper into a blender.
- Wash, and core the apples and dice them into bite-sized pieces. Add them to a medium salad bowl (or separate bowl) and toss them with 1 Tbsp. lemon juice. This will keep them from browning.
- In a medium salad bowl, add the spinach, almonds, the remaining 1/3 cup of dried cranberries and the diced apples. Toss everything together.
- Make the dressing by adding the soaked cranberries and any remaining water into the blender with the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Serve the salad with the dressing on the side or add it right before serving and mix well.
- Substitute any kind of mixed greens or lettuce for the spinach. If you use kale, I recommend that you massage it with some of the dressing before adding the other ingredients to the salad bowl. This will help soften it.
- Category: On the Side
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple cranberry salad