Spiced carrot and lentil soup with protein-packed red lentils is filled with warming spices for an amazingly satisfying vegan meal.
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 tsp. mustard seeds (yellow, black, or a combination)
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 Tbsp. ginger, minced
- 8-10 medium carrots, peeled or scrubbed and grated
- ¾ cup of split red lentils (or whole red lentils)
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- ½ cup of plant milk
- Heat a medium soup pot to medium heat. Add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and red chili flakes. Toast the spices for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Scoop out half of the spices to reserve as a garnish if desired.
- Add the onions and allow them to soften for about 3 minutes. If they begin to stick, add a tablespoon of water or broth.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the carrots, lentils, and vegetable broth. Bring the pot to a rolling boil, then lower it to simmer.
- Add the plant milk.
- Simmer the soup for 15 minutes until the lentils are tender and start to break down. You can leave the pot uncovered or cover with a lid leaving a space for the steam to escape.
- Once the lentils are cooked, remove the soup from the heat. Puree the soup using an immersion blender or transfer it to a blend, a few batches at a time, and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with the reserved, toasted spices.
- If you use whole red lentils, allow an extra 10 minutes of cooking time for them to get tender.
- You will get extra nutritional value if you leave the carrots unpeeled. If you opt to do that, be sure to carefully scrub them. Likewise, you can small dice the carrots rather than grate them. Be sure you keep them small, so they thoroughly cook.
- Category: Soups & Stews
- Cuisine: plant-based
Keywords: spiced carrot and lentil soup