One-pot Southwestern beans and quinoa is packed with a savory plant-based combination of black and kidney beans and a flavorful seasoned tomato sauce.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1-2 jalapenos diced (optional). Remove the seeds if you don’t want the heat
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped 1 ½ cups
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3-4 scallions (green onions, the green parts, cut on the bias (at 450 angles)
- 1-15 oz. (400 gm.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-15 oz. (400 gm.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup of cilantro (coriander) chopped (more if you want it for a garnish)
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- Heat a medium-sized pot over medium heat and then add the onions and jalapenos. Sauté them for about 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Stir in the garlic and oregano and continue sautéing for another 30 seconds.
- Add the diced tomatoes. Stir them in and allow them to simmer for about 10 minutes until they start to break down.
- Add the quinoa and scallions, then mix in the beans and cilantro. Add 2 ½ cups of broth. Be sure to stir everything well.
- Lower the heat of the pot to a slow simmer. At this point, you can cover the pot or leave the lid off. You want to simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender. This should take about 15 minutes.
- Start with a heated pot before adding the onions and jalapenos. A hot pan helps to keep the veggies from sticking.
- Be sure to always rinse the quinoa before you cook it. Quinoa can retain a bitter flavor when it is processed. A simple rinse through a finer mesh colander eliminates does the trick.
- Depending on the liquid content of the tomatoes you use, you may need to add more broth, or you may find more liquid than you like. In this case, allow the dish to simmer for another 5 minutes until it cooks down.
- To reheat leftovers on the stove top, mix in ½ cup of water (or broth). This dish also heats in the microwave. Be mindful to stir it halfway through and cover it in case a few beans decide to explode.
- Category: Main Courses
- Cuisine: plant-based
Keywords: beans and quinoa