Discover enticing textures and flavors in each bite of roasted sweet potato salad with wheat berries, soy ginger dressing, veggies, cranberries, and walnuts.
- 1 cup wheat berries, rinsed
- 1 -2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes (about 2 cups)
- 4 cups chopped endive or romaine lettuce
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 scallions, sliced thin (white parts)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat a medium pot (that has a lid) over medium heat, add the wheat berries, and toast them for 5-10 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water, along with a pinch of salt, and bring the pot to a boil. Turn the heat down, cover, and simmer the wheat berries for 30 minutes or until tender and chewy.
- Preheat the oven to 4000 F (2000 C) and place the sweet potato cubes on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake the sweet potatoes for 15-20 minutes until they are fork-tender.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the almond butter, rice vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, and agave syrup in a small bowl. Add a bit of water if the dressing is too thick.
- Prep the lettuce, carrot, scallions, walnuts, and cranberries and place them in a large salad bowl.
- When the wheat berries are tender, drain any remaining liquid and add it to the salad bowl along with the roasted sweet potatoes.
- Toss everything together and serve with the dressing on the side.
- Prep time assumes that you rinse the wheat berries and peel and dice the sweet potatoes. The rest of the ingredients can be prepared during the cooking time.
- If you can’t find wheat berries, farro is a good substitute.
- Add other veggies such as diced cucumbers or red pepper and make this salad your own.
- Stick to more hearty greens such as Romaine lettuce, endive, or kale. They tend to hold up better with this kind of salad.
- Category: Salads & Bowls
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roasted sweet potato salad