No time? No problem. Quick curry & rice noodles is a plant-based sensation that can be on the table in 35 minutes. So, grab a medium pot, red lentils, red onions,quick-chop spinach and zest and juice 2 lemons. It’s on!
If only we all got along this well…
Red lentils, lemons and spinach are the heartbeat of many a fine curry. What I love about this combination is that you can greatly change the flavor profile depending on the spices you choose. Quick curry & rice noodles in this instance calls for curry powder and garam masala, but you can switch things up and go for an Ethiopian touch with a berbere spice blend or really make things happen using taco seasoning. Anything goes.
Whether you are a seasoned plant-based chef or just starting your journey to a healthier lifestyle, it’s imperative that you have a repertoire of easy, dependable dishes that you can mindlessly shop for and cook while listening to your favorite tunes and decluttering your mind. This is yet another reason why quick curry & rice noodles is one of my favorite plant-based dependables. Recipes so easy they’re intuitive after the first time you make them. They are so dependable that you look forward to it no matter how often you have it.
Obstacles happen. The trick is to turn them into ‘soft’ obstacles, taken with a dose of humor rather than full blown derailing events. When it comes to nutritional choices there are a few strategies that I’ve come to appreciate. I like to have an organized plan with time to execute, but when that doesn’t occur, I turn to my dependables. Mindful eating, please meet mindless preparation and cooking.Print
Quick curry & noodles – red lentils, onions, spinach, lemons, curry powder, garam masala. Make this plant-based, one-pot taste sensation tonight.
· 1 medium red onion chopped
· 2 lemons (zest and juice)
· 2 Tbsp. curry powder
· 1-2 Tbsp. crushed red pepper
· 2 Tbsp. garam masala
· 2 cups red lentils rinsed (split lentils work best here)
· 6 cups (1 ½ lt.) water
· 8 cups (about 300 gms.) spinach chopped
· Salt to taste
· I package rice noodles (225 gm/8 oz)
· 1 cup chopped coriander (cilantro)
· In a medium pot, add the red onion and sauté them about 3 minutes, adding no oil (add a tablespoon of water if they start to stick).
· Add the lemon zest, curry powder, red pepper, and garam masala. Stir to coat the onions.
· Add the lentils, water, and lemon juice to the pot. Stir to combine the ingredients.
· Bring the pot to a boil and then to a simmer.
· Cover the pot and cook 15-20 minutes until the lentils are broken down and the water mostly absorbed (add more water if you need to)
· While the lentils are finishing, start boiling the water for the noodles and prepare per package directions. This should take about 10 minutes so be mindful of the time.
· Once the lentils are done, add the chopped spinach 1/3 of the batch at a time until all the spinach is wilted.
· Add salt to taste and adjust the spices if desired.
· Serve the curry over the rice noodles and add coriander as a garnish.
Use coriander as a garnish, many people don’t like the taste, so allow for individual choice.
If you don’t like too much spice, omit the crushed red peppers and use a milder curry powder.
Break apart the rice noodles before adding the boiling water. They’ll be a bit easier to handle on your plate.
No rice noodles? Replace with rice. Yum!
/Company coming? Make the curry a day ahead. More time for catching up.
- Category: Main courses
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Plant-based