Yes, you can make super whole food, plant-based pesto & hemp Parmesan spaghetti using fresh basil, pine nuts and lemon, added spinach for an extra nutrition boost and boosting the flavor further with hemp-seed parmesan. Serve that up with some cherry tomatoes over whole wheat spaghetti (and a bit more of that yummy hemp seed parmesan). Now you’re talking. No compromise people, no compromise…
Simple secrets to success
In my humble opinion, there are a few ‘secrets’ to making good pesto, fresh basil is number one. After that, a quick roasting of the pine nuts makes a huge difference. When I had my final break-up with cheese and became completely plant-based, I was a bit put off from pesto until I discovered hemp-seed parmesan. I know that you can buy vegan Parmesan (and if you like that go for it). My issue is that so many of vegan cheeses contain things I don’t want like oil, extra salt and those ‘alien’ ingredients I can’t decipher.
More about that hemp-seed-parmesan
I love the flavor of this hemp seed parmesan. The combination of the miso, oregano and lemon juice is enhanced by baking it. It smells so good when it’s doing that. It’s great on pasta, pizza and Italian white bean soup too.
Have a pine nut roast
One of the secrets to good pesto is giving your pine nuts a roast in your fry pan. No oil needed. Just heat that pan and toss around the pine nuts. Keep an eye on them though – they brown quickly. I’ve been a bit notorious about forgetting them on the stove, so I keep extra on hand in case I need a do over. Hopefully, you’re more attentive than me.
I suppose there are secrets to success for living a whole food, plant-based lifestyle. I for one, am willing to disclose everything I know. Let’s agree -when we share our successes (and failures) everyone benefits. That opportunity to share is one to learn, challenge and celebrate. Best of all, we can be enjoying a happy plate of pesto & hemp seed Parmesan spaghetti while we’re doing it. Peace.
Pesto & hemp seed parmesan spaghetti makes a wonderful whole food plant-based meal. Fresh basil and spinach, roasted pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice and hemp seed parmesan. A decadent, yet healthy spaghetti dish.
Fresh basil pesto
- 3 cups fresh basil
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 3 Tbsp. pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 – 4 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/3 cup hemp seed parmesan
Hemp seed parmesan
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp. miso paste
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- Spaghetti for 4 servings (Use a rough guide of 15 oz//100 gm. per person
- Additional for topping
- Follow the instructions for the hemp seed parmesan, while that bakes, start your pasta and prepare the pesto while everything cooks.
Fresh basil pesto
- Roast the pine nuts in a skillet for 3-4 minutes until they are slightly browned.
- Transfer the pine nuts, basil, spinach, garlic, lemon juice and hemp parmesan into a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth, adding additional lemon juice if desired.
Hemp seed parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees F (325 C).
- In a small bowl mix together the lemon juice, miso paste and oregano.
- Mix together the hemp seeds and the ingredients from step 1 in a shallow baking dish. Spread the mix evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then toss the mixture around. Bake another 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add additional fresh spinach if you want to bulk out your pesto.
- Any pasta will work for this, so get creative.
- Try using pesto for a pasta salad. Add diced red peppers or olives and take that to work. Be the envy of the office.
- Pesto is a great topping for bruschetta, crackers, or flat breads.
- Category: Main courses
- Method: baking, blending, stove top
- Cuisine: Plant-based
Keywords: Basil pesto & hemp seed parmessan spaghetti whole food, plant-based