Make a quick orange sesame 3-bean salad with a healthy, oil-free dressing. Make seriously delicious plant-based and guilt-free eating top-of-the menu!
- ½ cup (125 ml.) sesame seeds
- 1 – 15 oz. (400 gm.) can white beans such as cannelloni
- 1 – 15 oz. (400 gm.) can black beans
- 1 – 15 oz. (400 gm.) can red kidney beans
- 4 oranges
- 1 lemon (or 3 Tbsp. lemon juice)
- 1 bunch scallions sliced (1 cup/250 ml. sliced)
- 1 tsp. soy sauce or Tamari
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper or to taste
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the ½ cup sesame seeds. Toast, but constantly moving them with a spoon for 2 minutes until they are fragrant and slightly browned. Remove from the heat immediately and set them aside in a small bowl.
- Drain and rinse the white beans, black beans and kidney beans and place them in a medium salad bowl.
- Using a knife, cut the peels off 3 of the oranges, then cut the orange segments away from the membranes. Slice each segment in half for bite-size eating. Add to the salad bowl.
- Cut and juice the remaining orange and juice the lemon. Add the juices to a small bowl or glass jar. Add 1 tsp. soy sauce, ½ tsp. turmeric and ½ tsp. ground black pepper. Mix well and add to the salad.
- Add the toasted sesame seeds and mix everything.
- Serve it up!
- Nutritional information based on 6 servings.
- Use any combinations of beans you choose including chickpeas, white kidney beans, etc. If you are using canned, aim to buy no salt added.
- If you like things on the spicy side, a few dashes of Tabasco sauce would do the trick.
- Category: Salads & Bowls
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: orange-sesame 3-bean salad