Mediterranean veggie burgers are packed chickpeas, sweet potatoes, red peppers, garlic, parsley, red onions, kalamata olives and baked to perfection.
- 1 large sweet potato, baked whole (approximately 1 cup once cooked)
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted red bell peppers, diced (this is ½ fresh red bell pepper if you are roasting it)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp red onion, finely minced
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry rolled oats, ground into meal
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 4250F (2200C).
- Scrub the sweet potato and place it on a baking try with parchment paper or foil. If you are roasting the red pepper, that can be added as well.
- Bake the sweet potato until it is easily pierced with a fork (about 20 minutes). The red pepper will take about 15 minutes for the skin to brown, so you may need to remove that earlier than the potato.
- While the potato and pepper bake, place the chickpeas in a bowl and roughly mash them. I like to leave a few whole just for the texture. This is a good time to prep the olives, onion, garlic and parsley and to mix up the spices.
- When the pepper and sweet potato are done, allow them to cool. Then chop the pepper. Peel the sweet potato and dice it into pieces.
- If you have turned off the oven at this point, pre-heat it at 400°F (205°C).
- In the bowl with the chickpeas, add the olives, red pepper, garlic, onion, parsley, onion power, cumin, cayenne (if using), black pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Add the sweet potato to the bowl and mash it into the veggie mixture. Don’t worry if you have a few potato pieces. That just adds to the texture.
- Add about ½ of the ground oats to the mixture and mix well. Check to see if the burger will hold together. If not, add a bit more of the ground oats until you can form a veggie burger ball that hold together when gently squeezed with your hand.
- Form burger patties and place them on a non-stick baking tray. (the number of patties will depend on how big and thick you make them).
- Bake for 20 minutes, flip and continue baking for an additional 5 to 8 minutes, or until both sides are golden. (You may have to adjust your oven temperature and baking time depending on your oven).
- Serve burgers with your favorite garnishes and buns. We used quick pickled onions and white bean spread by blending 1 can butter beans/2 cloves garlic/3 Tbsp. lemon juice/2 tsp red chili flakes.
- Most of the prep time for this recipe will occur while the sweet potato bakes.
- Bake the sweet a day ahead and just store it in the fridge. This is handy if you bake sweet potatoes for dinner the night before.
- To reheat burgers in the oven, be sure to wrap them in foil. Otherwise they will get too brown and hard before they are hot. This is a good use for your microwave.
- Try using turning your veggie burgers into veggie balls and serving them up with bechamel or another of your favorite sauces.
- Category: Burgers & Wraps
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Mediterranean veggie burgers