Vegan Thai massaman curry paste is a fusion of Thai, Middle Eastern and Indian flavors for a unique curry twist using easily accessible ingredients.
- 5 dried red chilies (I used the Thai variety, if you use the tiny bird’s eye, use just 5 as they are really hot)
- ½ tsp. white peppercorns (3/4 tsp. ground white pepper)
- 6 whole green cardamom pods (1/2 tsp. ground) – if using the pods, break them open and remove the seeds
- 6 whole cloves (1/3 tsp. ground)
- 2 Tbsp. coriander seeds (2 ½ Tbsp. ground)
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds (2 ½ ground)
- 1 cinnamon stick (1 tsp. ground)
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ¼ cup chopped garlic
- ¼ cup chopped ginger
- 2 lemongrass sticks, just the bottom white bulb part, with the outer layer removed and then thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped shallots (you can also use red onion)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro (coriander) leaves and stems
- 2 tsp. miso paste (I used Shiro miso, but you can use another kind if you like) – if you don’t have access to miso paste, you can use 2 tsp. soy sauce, although the miso is best to use.
- Heat a small skillet over medium and add the 5 dried chilies, ½ tsp. white peppercorns, cardamom seeds, 6 whole cloves, 2 Tbsp. coriander seeds and 2 tsp. cumin seeds. Toast the spices for about 2 minutes until they start to release their aroma. Stir them constantly and remove them from the heat so they don’t get too brown.
- Add the toasted spices to a spice grinder and break them down until they are fine.
- In a blender or food processor, add the spices and the rest of the ingredients until smooth.
- Use massaman curry paste to enhance the flavor of your favorite curry sauces, soups or stews.
- I based the nutritional information on making 6 recipes using about 2-3 Tablespoons of curry paste per recipe.
- Curry paste stores really well in the freezer. I measure out 2 tablespoons, wrap them in plastic wrap or small baggies and then add them to a bigger freezer container or bag. You can add these small amounts straight from the freezer to flavor your recipes.
- I purposefully did not add salt because the miso paste will add quite a bit of sodium. You can always add salt to finished dishes if you want more.
- Category: Essential Ingredients
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Thai massaman curry paste