Subtly sweet, gooey maple syrup and coconut milk, hints of zesty ginger and orange and crunchy pecans, bake up a simple maple pecan sweet potatoes side.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 ½ lbs. or 4 cups), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 small orange (2 Tbsp. orange juice + the zest)
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 4250 F (2200 C).
- Peel the sweet potatoes and dice them into cubes (about 1 inch). Place them in a small baking dish (I used 10 x 7 inch).
- In a small bowl, whisk 2 tsp. maple syrup, 1/3 cups coconut milk, 2 tbsp. orange juice, 1 tsp. minced ginger, 1 tsp. cinnamon, ¼ tsp. ground cloves and ¼ tsp. salt.
- Add the sauce to the sweet potatoes and toss so the potatoes are covered.
- Sprinkle the top with the orange zest and chopped pecans.
- Cover the dish and place it in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes then uncover the dish for the last 5 minutes to toast the pecans. Your potatoes are done when they can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Because we are using orange zest, it’s a good idea to use an organic if you can. Otherwise, be sure to scrub the skin prior to grating.
- If you want to cut back on the baking time, you can par-boil the sweet potatoes first. To do this, simply peel and dice the sweet potatoes, place them in a pan and cover them with water. Boil the potatoes for 3 minutes and then immediately drain and rinse them in cold water to stop the cooking process. Proceed with the instructions as outlined above. Bake for 20 -25 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Category: On the Side
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: maple pecan sweet potatoes