Stovetop mac and peas is a must-have addition to your plant-based, oil free recipe repertoire. 30 minutes or less for a delicious hit with all eaters.
- 3 cups (10 ½ oz./300 gm) dry macaroni
- 3 1.2 cups (500 gm) frozen peas
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped (2 tbsp. for the puree, the rest for garnish)
- ¼ cup (25 gm) vegan Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
Timing tip: If you are going to make hemp seed Parmesan, get that into the oven first. You’ll need about 20 minutes.
- Start the water for the pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, add 2 cups of vegetable broth to a medium pan and add the peas. Bring the pot to simmer and cook the peas for about 3 minutes until they are thawed and tender.
- Add about ½ the peas into the blender with 1 cup of the simmering broth, the garlic, 2 tablespoons chopped basil, 2 tablespoons vegan Parmesan and ½ teaspoon black pepper to a blender or food processor. Blend the ingredients.
- After you drain the macaroni, add it back to the original pot. Add the pea pesto and the pesto and the rest of the whole peas. Toss everything together.
- Garnish the final dish or individual servings with the rest of the chopped basil and additional Parmesan.
- Nutritional information includes my own hemp seed Parmesan. Your results might vary depending on which Parmesan you use.
- You can dress up this dish further by adding sliced mushrooms or tender broccoli florets. You can also add ¼ – ½ cup sautéed, minced onion or shallot for a different take on the taste.
- Add a few teaspoons of red chili flakes for those eaters who live on the spicy side.
- Add 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes directly to the pasta 2 minutes before it’s done cooking and add some contracting color and sweetness to this dish. In other words, get creative!
- Category: Main Courses
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: stovetop mac and peas