You’ll shout out loud when you taste these healthy, plant-based baked sweet potatoes with lemon-tahini dressing and loaded with crispy, seasoned chickpeas.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, rinsed, scrubbed and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 – 15 oz. (400 gm.) can chickpeas, drained, but not rinsed
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. sumac
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (the juice of 1 lemon)
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 2 – 4 Tbsp. water as needed (to thin the dressing)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Carefully, cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and place them on the tray, cut-side down.
- Add the chickpeas to a small bowl and sprinkle the cumin, sumac and black pepper over them. Toss them until the chickpeas are coated. Add them to the baking tray.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes, then check them and toss the chickpeas around. Bake another 5 – 15 minutes until the potatoes are soft (the time depends on the size and kind of sweet potatoes, so check them).
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, make the dressing by whisking together the tahini, lemon juice, and garlic. Add water if necessary, to thin it to the consistency of a creamy dressing.
- When the potatoes are done, allow them to cool so you can handle them then spoon the flesh into a medium bowl and add half the dressing. Mash the sweet potatoes using a fork or hand masher. Spoon the mash back into the sweet potato skins, load them with the seasoned chickpeas and add the chopped mint.
- Serve with the remaining dress and enjoy!
- Substitute 1 tsp. lemon zest for the sumac.
- If you can find smaller sweet potatoes, these make an awesome appetizer and can be served warm or cool.
- Learn to make your own oil-free tahini right here.
- Category: On the Side
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Loaded baked sweet potatoes with lemon-tahini dressing