Dine on the spicy side with lentils simmered in a fiery Diavolo sauce for a devilish (and delish) meal great in big bowls or served over pasta or rice.
- 1 – 2 jalapeños, halved, seeded if desired, and finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup tomato paste (2 ½ oz./70 gm)
- 2 cups green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 4 – 5 cups of vegetable broth or water
- 1 tsp. salt (optional)
- Heat a medium pot to medium heat and diced jalapeno, garlic slices, 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika, ½ tsp. red pepper flakes, 1 tsp. ground black pepper and 2 Tbsp. water. Stir everything together and saute for 2 minutes until the jalapeno softens a bit.
- Mix in the tomato paste and add 4 cups of the vegetable broth or water and the lentils.
- Bring the pot to a slow simmer and cover. Cook the lentils until they are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed (20-25 minutes). Check periodically and add more liquid if needed.
- Taste and add salt or more smoked paprika or chili flakes if desired.
- Serve with pasta, rice noodles, rice, bulgur, or quinoa if desired.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, parsley, or lemon wedges.
- Nutritional information is based on the lentils with Diavolo sauce and doesn’t include pasta or rice. Nutritional information is for 6 servings.
- If you want saucier lentils, add more vegetable broth or water.
- Category: Main Courses
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Lentils in Diavolo sauce