This Italian white bean soup with fresh herbs is undeniably easy, healthy and satisfying. It’s great on its own, right out of the pan, but add a bit of hemp seed Parmesan (or other plant-based Parmesan) and be prepared to get your soup buzz on with this hearty plant-based booster.
Because fresh herbs are a good thing
Adding fresh thyme, rosemary and basil results a more complex flavor even when using a few simple ingredients. The woody stems of the thyme and rosemary tell you they are hearty herbs which means that you can add them at the beginning of the cooking process. I like to take the leaves off by running my fingers down the stems. Chopping either herb isn’t ideal because the stalks are not tender. Reserve the delicate fresh basil for the end. You don’t want it to have a breakdown.
A few become mighty
Italian white bean soup is simplicity in terms of ingredients. The combination of shallots (sweeter than white onions). I choose shallots because they have a sweeter, milder taste with a hint of garlic.
My advice though is that you pick up a bag of shallots They are perfect for dressings because they have the capacity of adding a great flavor without overwhelming.
The great green
Undoubtedly, kale is good for us. Personally, I love kale in salads. It holds up so you can dress it and eat the leftovers the next day and still have a crunchy salad. Kale will soften as it’s cooked, but if you find it too chewy, try chopping it a bit finer. That will help to mellow out the mouthfeel that might be putting you off.
Quick, simple soups are real winners when it comes to health and satisfaction. I’ve found that having soup at the ready is the perfect ‘something’ to replace an unhealthy snack attack. In my opinion, it’s a bit underrated as a post-workout pick-me-up. Seriously, don’t offer me a smoothie when I can have the better fiber of a soup with chopped veggies. Fiber’s a filler upper. Besides, most soups freeze well which means you will always have a supply.
Even before I followed a plant-based diet I knew about the virtues of soup. But knowing something doesn’t magically translate into practice. Effort and action are required catalysts. I agree, making soup Sometimes the effort is just a quick pot of soup, but sometimes it’s a long trip with multiple turns and barriers. As long as we know the destination is worthy, it’s worth the effort. Peace.Print
Italian white bean soup with carrots, kale and fresh herbs is undeniably easy, healthy and satisfying. Get a soup buzz from this hearty plant-based booster.
- ½ cup diced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme destemmed
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, destemmed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2– 15 oz (400 gm.) cans cannelloni beans (or other white beans)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Hemp seed Parmesan or other plant-based Parmesan
- Add ¼ cup of vegetable broth to a medium soup pot and add ½ cup shallots and sweat them over low heat for 10 minutes to release their flavor.
- Raise the heat to medium and stir in the garlic. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the carrots, thyme and rosemary. Mix well. Add the kale, beans and 4 cups broth.
- Bring the soup to simmer. Cook for an additional 15 minutes until the carrots are tender.
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon).
- Remove from the heat and stir in ½ cup fresh basil.
- Serve in individual bowls and top off with hemp parmesan if desired.
- Italian white bean soup is a wonderful opportunity to use kale; however, if you are not a fan, you can substitute chopped spinach. To do this, allow the carrots to simmer in the pan until they become soft and then add the beans and spinach and cook for an additional 5 minutes rather than the 15 for kale.
- This soup is best with fresh thyme and rosemary. If you decide to use dried herbs use 1/3 the amount as dried are more concentrated. This means use 1 teaspoon rather than 1 tablespoon.
- Category: Soups & Stews
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Italian white bean soup