Delicate fresh tarragon sauce has a distinct flavor is 5-ingredient easy and brightens up asparagus and pasta for a deliciously quick plant-based dinner.
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion or shallot
- 1 ½ cups white wine or vegetable broth
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon plus 1-2 tsp. finely chopped
- 1 cup plant milk
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot (you can also substitute cornstarch)
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 10 oz. (300 gm) asparagus tips
- Pasta for 4 people (we used 10 ounces or 300 gms.)
- Small dice the onion and finely dice 1-2 tsp. fresh tarragon leaves.
- Wash and prepare the asparagus tips and set them in the steamer.
- Measure out your pasta and start the pasta water.
- Heat a smaller saucepan over medium and then add the onion and sauté it for 5 minutes to soften it. Add a tablespoon of water to the pan if the onion starts to stick.
- Add the wine and tarragon stalks to the pan and bring it to a low simmer.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes to infuse the tarragon flavor.
- Remove and discard the tarragon sprigs.
- *If your pasta water is ready, pour in the pasta as the rest will go quickly.
- Whisk in the plant milk.
- In a small cup, mix together the arrowroot, and ¼ cup of vegetable broth. Add this to the sauce and whisk to ensure that there are no lumps.
- Taste and add 1-2 tsp. finely chopped tarragon if desired. Add several turns of ground black pepper and a pinch of salt if desired.
- *Start your asparagus while the pasta finishes cooking. Whisk the sauce frequently and keep it on a low simmer until you are ready to serve.
- To serve, arrange the pasta on 4 plates and add the asparagus. Pour the sauce directly over.
- Serve with lemon wedges if desired.
- Nutritional information includes asparagus and pasta.
- I don’t recommend using dry tarragon, but if you do, you’ll want to use 3 Tbsp. dry for the simmering plus additional after you add the plant milk.
- This basic sauce can also be combined with cauliflower and cashews for a tarragon bechamel.
- Category: Main Courses
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: tarragon sauce