Healthy green goddess dressing blends avocado, fresh herbs, garlic, and lemon making our everything green salad a memorable trip to the Emerald City of sides.
- 1 heart of Romaine lettuce or 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups snap peas, trimmed
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 3 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
Green Goddess Dressing
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 scallions (green onions) white and green parts
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Wash then trim the ends from the snap peas. Place them in a steamer basket. Fill a pan with a few inches of water, then bring it to a boil. Add the steamer basket of snap peas and cover the pot. Steam for 2 minutes. Remove the snap peas immediately and run them under cold water to stop the cooking process. Alternatively, you can par-boil the peas by adding them directly to the boiling water for 1 minute, then draining and running the under the cold water. Allow them to cool and dry while you make the rest of the salad.
- Wash the lettuce then chop it into bite-sized pieces. Be sure to thoroughly dry the lettuce.
- Dice the cucumber, use a small spoon to remove the seeds if desired.
- Thinly slice the scallions and include half of the green parts, thinly sliced as well.
- Add the salad ingredients to a bowl.
- To make the dressing, add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add half of the dressing to the salad and then, using your hand, mix it into all the ingredients. Add more if desired or serve on the side.
- Top with a bit of freshly ground pepper if desired.
- The dressing can be a bit heavy, so it’s best to use robust lettuce such as Romaine, iceberg, or endive. They will stand up better after mixing in the dressing and for storing leftovers.
- If you are making a pour-over dressing, you may want to thin it a bit by adding water or more lemon juice. We ate leftover, fully dressed salad the next day, and it was still fresh and colorful.
- In place of sugar snap peas, you can also use pea pods (they look similar). Use the same procedure to lightly steam them, or you can serve either raw.
- Store leftover salad and dressing in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator overnight.
- Category: On the Side
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy green goddess dressing