Why easy tempeh tacos?
Because easy tempeh tacos are satisfyingly delicious. They are the ultimate plant-based, gluten-free taco fix. Start with perfect tempeh crumbles and dress your taco up with vegan sour cream and DIY pico de gallo and step straight into fiesta mode.
Simply easy tempeh
No compromises necessary for easy, plant-based tempeh tacos. This recipe is all about wholesome, satisfying food and it starts with making perfect tempeh crumbles. We’ll be following my favorite crumble-simmer-drain/press-sauté/season method.
It’s a personal experience
While your tempeh simmers, begin the individualization process by getting your taco fixings prepared. What you put between your folded corn tortillas along with the tempeh is your choice. I went traditional with pico de gallo and vegan sour cream, but you can change it up by creating a slaw with cabbage, jalapenos and sour cream, sauteed mushrooms and onions. Get creative. Lay it all out on the table. It’s all good.
Easy tempeh tacos are one of those ‘eat as many as you like’ dishes. You’re getting a ton of goodness (and yes, protein) per calorie so fill up. I’m just careful that I can get my hands around so I don’t make a complete mess from hand to mouth (that usually happens anyhow).
Plant-based eating has been one of the most freeing choices I’ve made. Guilt free eating: filling up, leaving the plate clean and not immediately thinking about the next meal. That’s a far cry from my past relationship with food. I’m healthier physically and emotionally since I began this journey. May your path be healing too. Peace.Print
Easy tempeh tacos are the ultimate plant-based, gluten free taco fix. Fiesta’s on!
- 1 – 8 oz. (250 gm) block tempeh
- 4–6 cups vegetable broth (depending on pan depth)
- 1 Tbsp. Tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
- Slice the tempeh into strips and crumble into pieces (thumbnail size).
- Place the tempeh into a pan, cover with broth and 1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce) and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the tempeh simmers, get all your taco fixings ready.
- Drain the tempeh and press the sides of the colander to get as much liquid out as possible.
- Sauté the onion until is becomes translucent (5-8 minutes). Add the tempeh, spices, tomato paste and tamari. Mix well to coat the tempeh and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Heat the tortillas in the oven or microwave while the tempeh is doing the last 5-minute simmer.
- Commence the fiesta.
- Nutritional information calculated with a tablespoon of vegan sour cream and 2 tablespoons of pico de gallo per taco.
- This is a great use of frozen tempeh crumbles. Just thaw them and add cumin, chili powder, tomato paste and tamari.
- If you want to bulk out the tempeh, try adding diced green pepper and/or corn to simmer with the tempeh.
- Category: Main Courses
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Plant-based
Keywords: Easy tempeh tacos