Timing tip: To serve with pasta, start the water before you add the onions and carrots.
- Heat a skillet or pan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add ½ cup of vegetable broth, add the garlic, oregano, and red chili flakes. Keep the heat low and continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Remember, the softer the carrots, the smoother the sauce.
- When the carrots are cooked, cut the heat and add them to a food processor or blender along with the undrained chickpeas, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and ½ cup of vegetable broth. Start at a slow speed for a minute, then increase the speed, checking for consistency, and adding more broth until you get a consistency you like.
- Return the sauce to the pan to reheat and either pour it over pasta or vegetables or mix them in.
- Garnish with chopped fresh basil and/or parsley.