Get healthy sandwich inspiration with our favorite chickpea salad sandwich – 8 ingredients, minutes to make, and delectably plant-fueled and low calorie.
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (2 – 15 oz. or 400 gm. cans), rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. Tamari or soy sauce
- 1 medium red onion, diced (1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup diced pickles (we find dill pickles or something semi-sweet is best – sweet pickles can be a bit overpowering for this one)
- 1 tsp. kelp powder (or try 1 tsp. Nori flakes)
- Add the chickpeas to a medium bowl and mash them using a fork or hand masher. I usually leave about 1/4 of the chickpeas whole, but the final texture is up to you.
- Add the mustard, maple syrup, and Tamari or soy sauce. Mix well.
- Add the onion, celery, pickles, and sprinkle on the kelp powder (if using) and mix everything well.
- Serve as a sandwich on your favorite bread, in wraps, or on lettuce leaves.
- Nutritional information reflects the chickpea salad and 2 slices of commercially prepared whole wheat bread. Depending on the type of bread you use, the calories, fat, and other nutrients may carry.
- I’ve found that nori flakes or grinding a nori sheet lend to a bit stronger of a sea taste than kelp powder, so you may want to start with ½ teaspoon and then add more if you want to adjust the taste.
- You can bulk out or make a few substitutions for the ingredients by adding diced cucumber, a few sliced black olives, or even shredded carrots to your chickpea salad.
- Category: Burgers & Wraps
- Cuisine: Plant-based
Keywords: chickpea salad sandwich