Preparation tip: I used 2-star anise for this recipe, so I ground them, the garam masala, coriander and cumin in a spice grinder. If you use anise seed, use 1 tsp.
- Add the onions to a medium soup pot and, over medium heat, sauté the onions for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic, ginger and red chili flakes and continue cooking for another minute.
- Add 1 cup water and stir in to deglaze the pan.
- Lower the heat to simmer, add the cauliflower, cover the pot and allow the cauliflower to steam over low heat for 8-10 minutes. This will start the cooking process.
- Add the spices (anise, garam masala, coriander and cumin), tomatoes and chickpeas. Mix well.
- Cover the pot and continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes until the tomatoes break down and the cauliflower is tender.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro chopped and serve with rice if desired.