Matchstick carrots, orange segments, toasted cumin seeds and pepitas with a teaspoon of cider vinegar. Try this crunchy, healthy, versatile side salad.
- ¾ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds), lightly toasted
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
- 4 oranges
- 5–6 large carrots, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 1 tsp. cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a skillet to medium and toast the pepitas and cumin seeds for 2 minutes until the cumin seeds release their aroma. Leave them in the pan while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Using a knife, slice the peel and pith off the oranges. Working over a bowl, carefully slice each segment out from between the membranes. Let the segments fall into the bowl. Squeeze the remaining membrane to capture the rest of the juice.
- Peel the carrots and cut them into matchsticks. Add them to the bowl with the oranges.
- Add the toasted cumin and pepitas and 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar to the bowl. Toss.
- Taste and add salt or pepper if desired.
- You may decide to grate the carrots rather than cut them into matchsticks. The result will be just as tasty although not quite as crunchy.
- I like using pepitas for this salad; however, you could use cashews or almonds.
- If you want a more Asian-inspired side, replace the pepitas with toasted sesame seeds.
- Category: On the Side
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot, orange & cumin slaw