Basic bechamel (white) sauce is a creamy, flavorful healthy alternative that’s easy to make and is so good it can go it alone and can also be the foundation of many of your favorite saucy dishes.
- 1 head cauliflower
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2-3 cups oat milk (or other plant milk – amount depends on desired consistency)
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg (a pinch)
- ¼ tsp. white pepper (you can use black pepper as well)
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and measure out the cashews.
- Place the cauliflower and cashews into a steamer and stem for 20 minutes until the cauliflower is easily pierced with a fork.
- While the cauliflower steams, sauté the onion and garlic on very low heat until the onions are translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Add the cauliflower, cashews, onions, garlic, 2 cups of oat milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt nutmeg and white pepper to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth, adding more oat milk until you reach the desired consistency.
- Place the bechamel in a pan and heat through.
- Basic bechamel (white) sauce freezes well so don’t worry if you have leftovers. You can even freeze it with peas, asparagus or other vegetables for a quick pasta dinner.
- Make a quick savory mustard sauce by adding 2 tablespoons of prepared mustard to your basic bechamel sauce.
- Don’t forget to make a quick batch of hemp seed parmesan. This can bake while your cauliflower steams.
- Category: Main Courses
- Method: Steam/Blend
- Cuisine: Plant-based
Keywords: basic bechamel (white) sauce